A groundwater body is a clearly differentiated volume of groundwater in an aquifer or aquifers. The ultimate objective of the Life IP Duero project is the regeneration and subsequent equilibrium of the Medina del Campo aquifer.
There must be a balance between its extraction, the feeding of the aquifer and the terrestrial ecosystems it supports in its discharge.
According to the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and the Groundwater Directive (GWD), the main objective is to achieve for each groundwater body the “good status”, which means, both its quantitative status and its chemical status are at least good. In the project area, there is the groundwater body of Medina del Campo, which does not reach good status both quantitatively and qualitatively (see table below). The main threats are those linked to low piezometric levels due to overexploitation and nitrates pollution.
- An assessment and quantification of the piezometric network
- An assessment of the Medina del Campo groundwater body status at the start of the project.
- A study of the relevance of the conclusions of the H2020 NAIAD project regarding the full study of the groundwater body Medina del Campo and the consequences for the present Project.
- Begin of the works of hydrogeological study ✔
- End of the works of hydrogeological study ✔
- Control that all agricultural water permits, within the framework of the GWUAs, have their mandatory flow meter.
- Eradicate and punish 100% of the illegal extractions detected.
- A proposal of action water permits control and surveillance.
- A study and evaluation of alternatives for the development of GWUAs will be produced.
- Celebrate 6 seminars to provide information to farmers for the formation of the GWUAs.
- Support the declaration of all the GWUAs of the area project.
- Begin Periodic control of illegal extractions ✔
- 1st GWUAs formed
- End Periodic control of illegal extractions
- Estudio de las posibilidades de mejora del estado de la masa de agua subterránea de Medina del Campo a través de recargas artificiales.
- Mejora de la vegetación de ribera del río Zapardiel.
- Recarga de al menos 1 Hm3 al Zapardiel en años húmedos.
- 1st Adaja-Zapardiel recharge test ✔
- Recharge through the pond of Narros ✔
- Flooding of grasslands of San Vicente del Palacio.
- Define a tool to check the level of fulfillment of project objectives and establish a correction method against possible divergences.
- Improve the piezometer network of the area with the installation and restoration of piezometers.
- Monitor the tendency of the piezometric levels. Current tendency: stable or decreasing. Objective: growing tendency.
- Monitor the tendency of the groundwater volume extracted. Current value: 230 hm3 aprox. Objective: < 149 hm3 (= natural recharge)
- Improve the capabilities of the CHD technicians in order to develop new recharging projects in the future thanks to the collaborative working procedures with the IGME.
- Definition of a Management plan to evaluate water resources.
- Seguimiento de la evolución de la contaminación por nitratos.
- Establecer recomendaciones y procedimientos adaptados para reducir la contaminación por nitratos.
- Obtener un conocimiento cualitativo y cuantitativo sobre como distintos tipos de procedimientos afectan a la contaminación por nitratos.
- Obtain qualitative and quantitative knowledge about how arsenic is incorporated into the soil through irrigation with arsenic-bearing groundwater.
- End of the 1st phase monitoring works ✔
- Begin of the 2nd phase monitoring Works
- Edition of a Management plan to evaluate wáter resources
Check the latest news on the subject.
- Define the wetlands to be restored.
- Assess the main characteristics and status of these wetlands.
- Develop a small species survey during field visits to provide a baseline for action C2.
- Promote the study of the impact of invasive species.