As a central axis of the LIFE IP DUERO project the alternative crop plan seeks to adapt the socioeconomic framework to the challenges posed by 21st century agriculture. To advise the professionals of the field, the project puts at their disposal the work of experts in the choice of alternative crops to the current ones, so that all the objectives pursued by the LIFE-IP RBMP-DUERO referred to a production unit are met (hectare):
- Water consumption decrease.
- Products with a real and growing commercialization.
- Productivity increase.
- Implementation of resilient species, more resistant to climate change.
- Increase in CO2 collecting.
- That allows a conservative use of the soil. Decrease of the ecological trace.
- Circular economy and auxiliary industry.
In this action it is necessary to create an alternative crops plan that aims to reduce the volume demands for irrigation, and develops as an alternative socioeconomic model to irrigation, in which the volumes saved are notable compared to other non-woody crops. This will contribute to the achievement of a greater efficiency in the use of water and a reduction of the water consumption.
This is a dual experience. On the one hand, we will create a more resilient, sustainable and productive crop plan that will contribute to improving the state of the water body, both quantitatively, by saving water, and qualitatively, by improving the quality of the water through a reduction in the use of inputs.
- A Plan for Alternative Crops that allows for the planning and development of future actions to diversify and substitute traditional crops.
- Promote public activities within the communication plan and capacity building activities.
- Design of a +/- 5 hectares Demonstration Farm: for training, dissemination and communication.
- Begin of the Demonstration Farm Construction works
- End of the pilot construction works.
- End of the 1st campaign of the demonstration plot.
- Programme on New Technologies that include an informative chapter of the available technologies that can contribute to the digitalization of the agriculture sector, the training programme and success stories.
- Implement a demonstration case study “Tierras de Zapardiel” in the Groundwater Association
- Development of 6 training workshops aimed to teach farmers how to implement these technologies and disseminate their successful experiences.
- Reduce the use of water, fertilizers and phytosanitary products by 10%.
- Begin the demonstrative experience. ✔
- Begin of the digital training programme for farmers. ✔
- End of the digital training programme for farmers
- Begin of the informative seminars. ✔
- End of the informative seminars.
- Draft an Adaptation to climate change plan for a sub-basin
- Transform at least 550 hectares from irrigated to crops with less irrigation needs
- Improve Nature 2000 network in the project area by creating 200 (AP) hectares of new forested áreas which will act as a refuge for different species.
- Create new forested areas to allow carbon sequestration.
- Get a participation of at least 20 farmers for each year in the training program.
- Begin of the implementation of the Alternative crops plan and Agroforestry Plan. ✔
- Begin of the awareness and training programme for farmers. ✔
- Comenzar con el programa de difusión a los agricultores. ✔
- End of trees plantation.
- End of the awareness and training programme for farmers
- Obtain data on the readiness of farmers to implement innovative solutions
- Obtain data on the benefits of the use of irrigation forecasting and prescription technology for efficient and sustainable water resource management at the user community level
- Study on the potential application of the use of irrigation forecasting and prescription technology for other uses in the basin
- Start monitoring digital services for the transformation of agriculture. ✔
- Finish with the follow-up of digital services for the transformation of agriculture.
- Analysis of project actions, where the indicator of the action´s effectiveness are the emission reductions achieved compared to the investment required. This data is a key aspect of the Project actions. A protocol will be developed for each type of action proposed.
- Climate change mitigation plan: a document that establishes guidelines for a mitigation plan will be developed including the different types of actions undertaken in the project.
- Implement a Carbon Footprint Programme through the realization of "Carbon Audits" of all the actions of the project. Annual inventory of carbon emissions, according to the selected methodology.
- Quantification of GHG emissions produced by each contractor to ascertain the level of contribution in the GHG emissions compensation programme.
- Check the effectiveness of the Climate change mitigation activities through quantifying the reduction of GHG emissions obtained by the implementation of this IP.
- Implement a GHG emissions compensation programme based on productive poplar plantations which will compensate the emissions that can’t be avoided.
- Establishment of a plan for Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) of mitigation actionsRevisión del plan de seguimiento, información y verificación de las acciones de mitigación.
- Review of the plan forMonitoring, Reporting andVerification (MRV) of mitigation actions