SURFACE WATER BODIES
The LIFE DUERO project has identified different areas of action within the Trabancos, Zapardiel and Arevalillo rivers, each with its own particular needs and problems, so each one has its own Action project.
However, all projects share some basic objectives: to increase the goods and services offered by aquatic systems when, through well planned and sized actions, their naturalness is increased.
In different towns within the area of the LIFE DUERO, a series of bank decanalization actions have begun with surprising and visible results in the short term. An example is the decanalizations carried out on the Zapardiel River in the towns of Lomoviejo and Tordesillas, where the river has been reconnected again with sections of its old bed.
With the recovery of the old bed the biological communities that are own will return , but it is also achieved the reconnection of the river with its vegas, in which an important socioeconomic activity depending on them is developed.
In addition, the decanalization allows the river to occupy the river space at times of flooding, favoring the fertilization of pastures and the entry of a greater amount of water into the aquifers from which the irrigation water for the crops is obtained. fertilización de pastos y la entrada de una mayor cantidad de agua hacia los acuíferos desde los que se obtiene el agua de riego para las cosechas.
On the other hand, the renaturalization of these beds and the recovery of the river space result in greater protection against floods, a pressing need in certain points of the Arevalillo river, in which the flooding phenomena of urban areas are recurrent. By providing the river with enough space, while eliminating obsolete structures such as some problematic azudes, the height of the water in the floods decreases and therefore the protection against floods increases.
- To select the river sections to be restored.
- To ensure the Hydraulic Public Domain of the total length of the river sections that are going to be restored.
- To clarify the legal status of all the existing barriers in the rivers Trabancos, Zapardiel, Arevalillo and tributaries.
- Selection of river sections to be restored ✔
- End of works of clarification of the legal status of all the existing barriers in the rivers. ✔
- Permeabilisation of the 34 obstacles encountered.
- A total length of 80 km of river sections will be restored.
- 100 Ha of plants on the riverbank.
- 82 km of mottles eliminated.
- River restoration project’s drafting ✔
- Begin of the works of River restoration ✔
- End of the works of Riverrestoration
- Restoration of a mill to be used as head office, nature classroom and interpretation center.
- Revitalization of the economy in areas with few employment opportunities by creating new economic activities related to natural and educational eco-tourism.
- Inauguration of the head office “Mill of Don Alvaro de Luna” ✔
- Measure and document the effectiveness of the projected actions as compared to the initial situation, objectives and expected results.
- Define a tool to check the level of fulfillment of project objectives related to river restoration activities and establish a correction method against possible divergences.
- Improve the capabilities of the CHD technicians in order to develop new river restoration projects in other river of the basin.
- Begin of the 1st phase monitoring works
- End of the 1st phase monitoring works
- Begin of the 2nd phase monitoring works
Check the latest news on the subject.